Friday, August 16, 2013

European Vacation part 3: Basel, Switzerland

Ahhh, Switzerland. The most beautiful place I have ever seen. Seriously. And the people bend over backwards for you. They are the nicest people I've ever met. If you can only go to one place in Europe, you should probably go to Switzerland. 

After our week in Paris, we headed to the train station to start our journey to Basel, Switzerland. I got so sick when we got to the train station, I started barfing in the parking lot. A nice French guy came over and gave me a water bottle. I wish I could have stayed awake on the train to Switzerland, but I felt so yucky, I just slept. But it was so rewarding when we arrived in Switzerland. Such a beautiful country. We can't wait to go back.

Swiss chocolate. What more can I say!?

Ronchamp, Le Corbusier, 1954

What a beautiful place. Ronchamp is a miniature community which includes a chapel, museum, and a monastery (built by Renzo Piano) for the sisters. A few of the sisters were worshiping (I believe in what they called the oratory) when we arrived. They let us sit in the room with them while they prayed.

On our last day in Switzerland, we actually went across the boarder to Germany to go to Vitra. They build a lot of Eames furniture and other top designer items. We really wanted to buy a little Eames elephant, but we wouldn't really have anyway to get it home. Nor do we even have a child to use the elephant chair. Someday we'll buy one.

I still can't believe we spent part of our summer traveling Europe. It feels like a really, really fantastic dream. Christian and I are so glad we did it. It wasn't the cheapest way to travel, but being our first international trip together, it was a good way to travel. I'm so thankful for such a great experience. It was so fun to experience other cultures and ways of thinking, living, and communicating. We can't wait to start making plans for our next big adventure. We are thinking South America if anyone would like to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment